Settings

Choose language

Updates on code 38 posts, 3 writers, 28 readers, started 84 months ago

posted 84 months ago (Friday, May 26) by Lekala
In-between release update:

We added icons to the pattern library so that the pattern settings are more obvious.

Private/public is shown with folders - red folder stands for private pattern, green folder stands for public pattern.
Blackboard stands for pattern code - if the blackboard is blank, pattern code is hidden, if it has scribbles on it - pattern code is public.
Printer stands for export - you may allow other users to print out pattern blocks using your code (you don't have to actually show the pattern code if you decide so). If the pattern icon has a tiny red minus on it, export is not allowed to other users.

posted 84 months ago (Tuesday, May 30) by Lekala
Yesterday we released version 0.2, the full info is here - http://www.sewist.com/news/view?id=8

posted 84 months ago (Wednesday, June 7), edited 84 months ago by Lekala
We released version 0.3 - full info is here. :) 

posted 82 months ago (Wednesday, July 12) by Sewist
We are finishing seam allowances, and I just posted a new article in our Manual - you can find it here:

There are still some imperfections we are working on, but all in all it's practically there. 

posted 68 months ago (Thursday, September 6) by jne4sl
It looks like you're still adding functions.  Is there any possibility that users will be able to write functions?  

One simple thing I find myself typing again and again is finding a midpoint, e.g.,

if p1 and p2 are points, their midpoint is:
p_m = apply(p1, [p1:p2].l/2, [p1:p2].a1)

Also, there are times when a "floor" function would be more convenient than
"round".
This post has replies: ( #6 )

This post is reply to #5
posted 68 months ago (Sunday, September 9) by Sewist
For now, we have enabled templates as part of code for users, but not the functions themselves for the sake of the integrity of code. :)

Will add midpoint, no problem with that, will go live next week. I believe the syntax will be p3=midpoint(p1,p2)

Floor function will go live next week. :) The syntax will be floor(n)

I shall post the updates once they are live on facebook, and will edit documentation next week adding wave, magnet, floor, midpoint.... I guess that's it for now. 

posted 68 months ago (Sunday, September 9) by jne4sl
Wow, that's awesome, thanks.  

I completely understand that not everything can be user accessible.  But since a template can only be called once, they help me more with organization, than really reusing code on the fly.  And even then there's a limitation, like if I write a template to collect all the steps for building a patch pocket, I still need two copies of that template if my jacket has two different patch pockets.   That's okay, at least with sewing it's not as if there's an unknown quantity of pockets.  And if somehow there were, foregoing a template and putting that code in a loop might take care of it.

But now that I know I can ask, I'm sure I'll have more requests :)

Actually one other thing, is there any thought to adding some sort of a "list" object?  Behind the scenes there seems to be one, e.g. the transformation functions act on a list, or the include line of the the pattern object is a list. There's no way to collect these under a single name.  This could be useful.

This post has replies: ( #8 )

This post is reply to #7
posted 68 months ago (Wednesday, September 12) by Sewist
Hello there,

We released two new commands:

p3=midpoint(p1,p2)

and 

floor(float) - will return the largest integer.

For "list" there is group:

group1=group(object1,object2,....objectn)

For now you can use it in inc parameter in patterns, and we are working on making it work properly in commands like move, shift, rotate etc.

For trace etc I usually use path. :)

posted 68 months ago (Wednesday, September 12) by jne4sl
Great!  I'd started adding midpoint as alternate text in anticipation, that's a huge help.  I also think Group will can be useful.  Of course, path is more important but, yes, there's the 'group' of things I want to include in the pattern that may not have been created all at once.  I imagine there's difficulty with the naming conventions when passing a group to a transformation and times when it's not really what's wanted.  But I think it's a good addition.

Thanks!
This post has replies: ( #10 )

This post is reply to #9
posted 68 months ago (Friday, September 14) by Sewist
Thanks! 

As for group, it is just a matter of time, as I, myself, find it useful sometimes to unite all elements refering to e.g. front into a group to mirror them at once, and not list them one by one.

Group contains the names of the elements, not the elements themselves, so the idea was to handle them at any given point of time, even if some of them have been recurved or changed.

However, for now I didn't ask the IT to think of a way to remove elements from a group. Adding them works as in group1=group(group1,newelement). Do you think this is something that needs to be added?

We also have another 'silent' function, which is ratio. It returns the integer after division, e.g. ratio(7/3) will return 2. I needed it to better place buttons for changing sizes.

Any ideas are truly welcome, so if there's anything else you need, just let us know :) We are now a bit busy finishing the visual tools, but we can also find a spare minute to make the lexer better.
This post has replies: ( #11 )

This post is reply to #10
posted 68 months ago (Friday, September 14) by jne4sl
Yes, I think just being able to collect items into a 'group' and act on that will be useful.  There will still be times that I realize I really wanted access to each element and will have to go back and list things out, but I think this is useful.  It makes sense that it's also not possible to access an element for removal--similar to path.  I'll let you know if I find it limiting.

Good to know about 'Ratio'.  I can put that to use.  I know there was one time I was looking for something like that.

I've started using the 'wave' function, and that works great.  Looks like the editor isn't highlighting it as a function at the moment.  I'm also unclear when I have to use named points and when I can make a reference to a point, like the end point of a path.

E.g. with wave, I wanted to draw a new armhole connecting (and perpendicular to) paths 'shoulder' and 'side' and passing through intermediate points: pointA, pointB, pointC, ....  I'd like to say:

armhole = wave((shoulder.p2, pointA, pointB, pointC, ..., armhole.p1), shoulder.a2-90, side.a1+90)

but I get a syntax error.  I have to instead name the initial and final points and pass the names.  So:

p_I = shoulder.p2
p_F = side.p1
armhole = wave((p_I, pointA, pointB, pointC, ..., p_F), shoulder.a2-90, side.a1+90)

Referencing the two angles outside the list doesn't cause an error.  I've run into this before, and I assume it's a restriction on the list.  It makes sense when the function has the option of renaming objects, since it wouldn't be possible to rename a referenced point, but here I don't see the reason.

I  will definitely think of more suggestions. Thanks.
This post has replies: ( #13 )

posted 68 months ago (Tuesday, September 25) by jne4sl
I've been using 'group' to collect items to include in a pattern and really like that.  But I also really like this method of placing a series of buttons along a sleeve placket, since it can go in a for loop and doesn't require individual names and I'd never want to act on them individually anyway.

buttons = 5
for(i= 0, i < buttons, i++){
    gs0 = split(sleeve_front_lower, sleeve_front_lower.l*((i+1/2)/buttons), c1, c2)
    move((gs0),1.5,c2.a1+90)
    mark(gs0,c2.a1,mark_cross)
    if(no(button_marks))
        button_marks = group(m_gs0)
    else
        button_marks = group(m_gs0,button_marks)
}
delete(gs0,m_gs0,c1,c2)

I would like it if group could be a group of nothing as I could begin by saying button_marks = group()  and wouldn't have to check if it were defined.  I'd also like if the include line in a pattern call could be empty 
inc(),
because I would like to leave it as a stub to fill in.  Same for functions that act on a list, there are times when the syntax error for things like delete() annoy me.   Obviously completely avoidable, just not the sort of mistake I'm looking to be called on, I guess.

This post has replies: ( #14 )

This post is reply to #11
posted 68 months ago (Monday, October 1) by Sewist
p_I = shoulder.p2
p_F = side.p1
armhole = wave((p_I, pointA, pointB, pointC, ..., p_F), shoulder.a2-90, side.a1+90)

That's a bug, we'll fix it! Thanks for the headsup!

This post is reply to #12
posted 68 months ago (Monday, October 1), edited 68 months ago by Sewist
I see what you mean, basically that's a more classical array.

We have not included arrays in the available options, as there have been some limitations in lexer (or so I remember).
-----
ETA - On a second thought, what could help is creating the name of the next variable in a loop. E.g. you first announce an empty group

buttonmarks=group()

And then inside the group the syntax is something like

buttonmarks=group(buttonmarks,m_gs#i)

Which helps to handle variables depending on the final i, still using a group.
-----

OR

we do it as array

buttonmarks=array()

in loop

buttonmarks[i]=mark(gs,90)

-----

Are there any other cases aside from buttonmarks when you face a limitation like this?

I'd also like if the include line in a pattern call could be empty 
inc(),

I will have to discuss if this is easily done. We were looking to achieve a clear readability of code, so opted out of some stub options. Per se, it adds to the code, and doesn't have a practical meaning, so might be abundant for those who are not used to coding. As a roundabout, and a tool to avoid syntax errors, we have been adding buttons to the left vertical navigation that help to get the code right. Anyway, will discuss!
This post has replies: ( #15 )

This post is reply to #14
posted 68 months ago (Monday, October 1) by jne4sl
So, I know ultimately I would like to have arrays, but that's me.  If that's not possible or just not of much use, I still see some ways to use the function group in a ways that might be sufficient.  Since group can be used to collect snap shots of an object that is moved around.  The editor already does this since it leaves old copies sitting around, but this is a way to add those copies to a pattern.  This is most useful in a loop, like the button example.  It's just there's the question of initial conditions.  Do I place one object in the group before starting?  Sometimes that's reasonable--maybe calculate the first item before the loop, or group them with something else entirely like the placket notch--but other times, it might be more natural to come in with an empty group and do all the adding in the loop. (It was already possible to do something similar with path inside a loop, adding snippets successively, but of course a path has nothing to do with something like button markings.  So group is useful for these other situations.)

Your second example, how can the names of a variable be generated in a loop?  Isn't that the whole issue?  I can't do this now, can I?  Even if I had variables with these names made up before the loop, I wouldn't be able to get the loop index value concatenated into a string to reference a given variable.  That would be an array.  Maybe I've been missing something.

Anyway stubs and empty groups aren't essential, they just seem to come up for me. 

I put a toy program 'button example' up, #766.
This post has replies: ( #16 )

This post is reply to #15
posted 68 months ago (Monday, October 1) by Sewist
In general, group was supposed to be a collection of references to the object names. If an object is changed, but the name is the same, its last position and form will be used for the inc.

Generating names is not available now, but this is a roundabout for a group in a loop... we are considering if we want to start with arrays or allow concatenating names as another option to make buttons and buttonholes.
This post has replies: ( #17 )

This post is reply to #16
posted 68 months ago (Monday, October 1) by jne4sl
I see.  Either would work for me.  I'm comfortable with indexed arrays, but just naming things on the fly would serve a similar purpose and might be more in line with what's already available.  Even when I'm not looking for an arbitrary number of names, I find myself wanting to concatenate text into names in ways that aren't currently available.

Maybe it's an abuse to put group in a loop this way, but at the moment I think it's useful.  I don't know how 'group' works internally but at least when it comes to marks, if I add a mark to a group do something to the mark and then add it to the group a second time, both versions of the mark show up on the pattern when the group is included.

posted 67 months ago (Thursday, October 4), edited 67 months ago by Sewist
New function in Sewist CAD helps to draw round tips of a given radius.

convex (point1,angle1,point2,angle2,radius)
Draws a round tip within the given vectors.

Function parameters

name of the first point
angle at the first point
name of the second point
angle at the second point
radius in cm 

If the name of a convex path is not set in code, the default name is formed as X_firstpoint_lastpoint. E.g. an unnamed convex path from points P1 and P2 will get name X_P1_P7. 

Names of points can be substituted with function point(x,y) etc. In this case it is mandatory to specify the name of the future arc, as there are no point names to create it automatically (second line of code). 

A convex path also has direction from first point to second point. 

Object properties

After a convex path is created, you can get its properties by using the following syntax:

.a1 - angle at the first point with the horizontal
.a2 - the angle at the second point with the horizontal
.l - the length of the path
.p1 - the first point
.p2 - the second point
.x1 - x coordinate for the first point
.y1 - y coordinate for the first point
.x2 - x coordinate for the second point
.y2 - y coordinate for the second point
.dx - difference of x coordinate values between the first and the second points
.dy - difference of y coordinate values between the first and the second point 

Usage

You can use mathematical equations, variables, and size constants in syntax, e.g. 

convex(p1,p2,90,-25,10)
cx1=convex(point(10,70+sz3),point(p3.x,p4.y),p3),1+90,angle(p1,p2,p3)+[p1:p2].a1,25*4)

http://www.sewist.com/pages/documentation#tp
This post has replies: ( #20 )

posted 63 months ago (Monday, February 25) by jne4sl
I noticed that the function 'magnet' isn't being highlighted in the text editor.  Also I noticed 'true' and 'false' are already defined in the expected way but those also aren't highlighted in text.
This post has replies: ( #22 )

This post is reply to #18
posted 63 months ago (Monday, February 25) by jne4sl
Oh, reading this, I realize that maybe the function 'path' isn't working correctly with the naming convention listed above.  Right now it's not possible for the last item listed in 'path' to be a referenced point.  I hadn't thought about it much, but figured this was because the final point being named was required for the naming convention.  But actually I see it does work if the first point in a path is a referenced point, so that makes no sense.

Anyway, with this code:

p1=point(0,0)
p2=apply(p1, 100.0, 45)
p3 = meet(p1,0,p2,270)
l1 = [p1:p2]

junk1 = path(l1.p1,p3)
junk2 = path(p1_,l1.p1)

junk1 works, but junk2 causes an error: 
Syntax error(
Parse error on line 7:
...junk2 = path(p1_,l1.p1)
----------------------^
Expecting 'COMMA', 'RPAREN', got 'PROP_P1' )

This post has replies: ( #21 )

This post is reply to #20
posted 63 months ago (Wednesday, February 27) by Sewist
Thanks, I created a ticket for this, will report when fixed!

This post is reply to #19
I asked to highlight the magnet, as for true/false - could you give me an example of the code? I am afraid I never actually used it straightforwardly as true and false, can't think of a code sample ;)
This post has replies: ( #23 #24 )

This post is reply to #22
'magnet' highlighted, the fix will be released today

This post is reply to #22
posted 63 months ago (Thursday, February 28) by jne4sl
I usually don't use true or false either, I'd use 0 and 1.  But I had a slightly awkward phrasing and I though I'll just define a variable false = 0.  But that caused a syntax error and I realized the keyword was already available and works as expected, just not highlighted.

I  was making pants with a back yoke, that could be cut as one piece with the leg and folded into place or cut as two pieces.  So I wanted to create the back leg patterns in if statement.  I had a flag yoke_cut_on, but for whatever reason I wanted to start with the negative case.  I just thought it would read better to say if(yoke_cut_on == false) instead of if(yoke_cut_on==0)  If I were starting with the true case, I'd just write if(yoke_cut_on).  Also there isn't a logical 'not' operator in Sewist (at least not that I've stumble on).  There doesn't need to be, just sometimes, I like code to read like a sentence.  And if(not yoke_cut_on) or if(yoke_cut_on == false) 

Anyway, I also don't really need 'true' and 'false' I just was surprised they were defined but not highlighted, which reminded me that I'd noticed 'magnet' wasn't highlighted either.
This post has replies: ( #25 )

This post is reply to #24
posted 63 months ago (Thursday, February 28), edited 63 months ago by Sewist
Oh, I see, we will just add them to the list of the reserved variable names in the manuals then. Thanks for the headsup!

ETA and highlight them :)