Settings

Choose language

Bugs and Fixes 36 posts, 2 writers, 4 readers, started 84 months ago

posted 57 months ago (Monday, August 5) by jne4sl
I've noticed a vague printing issue, that I haven't spent much time trying to replicate, but seems to be persistent.  I'm thinking it has to do with using a pattern piece that is too small to be labelled.  E.g. yesterday my pattern included a narrow binding strip.  I've noticed before that on the layout screen, some pattern pieces have a large invisible buffer such that they can't be placed near an edge.  This pattern piece was an example, I couldn't place it anywhere near the bottom edge of the layout but I was able to place it near the top edge.  When I did this and generated a pdf, the pages where misaligned--the cut marks did not correspond with the edges of the page image, and the pdf was unusable.  This happened twice, but when I removed the binding strip, the pdf was back to normal. (I don't know if this helps, but job ID 14809 is an example.  The svg file looks fine, but the pdf is misaligned. 

Also, I like that it's now possible to rotate pattern pieces on the layout page, that's a helpful feature.  I did notice that rotating causes lines to become heavier in the final pdf.  Also, some pattern markings don't rotate with the pattern.  E.g. I just tried a pattern with an included dashed path that didn't rotate.  Dashed line's did rotate with the pattern.  There was an apex mark and the center cross rotated, but the surrounding circle didn't rotate.

Don't know if it helps, but job ID 14827 demonstrates all these issues.  The offsetting isn't visible in the svg file, but occurs in the pdf.  The rotation issues are visible in the svg.

posted 57 months ago (Tuesday, August 6) by Sewist
Thank you for the detailed post, we shall see to these issues. I have noticed that in the online preview it is often the pieces created with along function that may cause the buffer effect, especially when one previews the whole printing area in small scale. This is due to some rounding up issues in the library, the 'infinite' length of a curve that is rather a line etc etc. We are fixing it case by case, but there seems to be something left.

In general, scaling up the preview helps in cases like the bounding strip. 

Thanks for the heads up re rotating issues, I will let the IT know about these. This week we are trying the new 'packing' script that would place the pattern pieces more economically and we hope to finish asap, the rotating issue will be our next ticket.

posted 57 months ago (Tuesday, August 6), edited 57 months ago by jne4sl
When seam allowances are added to the patterns, is that essentially calling the 'along' function?  I did use 'along' directly in this pattern to estimate the length of the collar band, but I didn't actually included that line in a pattern.

I do wish the clipping of seam allowances at corners could be improved, I have seen the issue of some sort of point in the far distance.  It was most obvious when my pattern had a sharp angle, but I assume it's happening to a lesser degree with other shapes.  With this pattern, removing the smallest strip seemed to fix my pdf issue, so I thought perhaps it was related to labelling.  Because otherwise that strip should be simple to render.

I do like to rectify dart ends, but when complex seam allowances have the clipping issue, this is a waste of effort.  I also like patterns where seam allowances at corners are correctly clipped to indicate construction order, but that's beyond my control.

Thanks for your help.
This post has replies: ( #4 )

This post is reply to #3
posted 57 months ago (Wednesday, August 7) by Sewist
Yes, that would be along function.

We do have a ticket open for bettering the seam allowances, I hope we will be soon able to report improvements. :)

posted 57 months ago (Friday, August 9) by jne4sl
Fingers crossed, that would be great.  I can appreciate that deciding how to extend and clip a complicated corner is difficult.  But I really don't understand how this sometimes leads to divots on the wrong side of the seam line.  Looking forward to an update.

posted 57 months ago (Sunday, August 11) by jne4sl
I'm thinking the new 'packing' is underway.  It produces an initial layout, but when I change the paper size, something different is going on.  All the pattern pieces are spread out horizontally and I needed to expand to 28 pages wide before I could find the pieces and drag them into a reasonable configuration.  This is slow and prone to timing out. 

I try to remember to save work before going to the print screen, but maybe there should be a built in reminder, too.  The thing is, it's possible to then leave the print screen without saving the draft, or worse, if something goes wrong on the print screen, there's no way to return to the drafting screen, and then unsaved work will be lost.
This post has replies: ( #7 #9 )

This post is reply to #6
posted 57 months ago (Monday, August 12) by Sewist
The first bug was fixed in the morning, we have made a release already. The packing for different paper size will be fixed as well.

We will also add the printing setting preferences to the user account so that you can save the presets and not wait for the packer for the default A4 and then for your favourite one - once the printing settings are saved, the print screen will open in the required format at once.

We'll also add the alert re saving the pattern before proceeding to print screen, will be there with the next release.
This post has replies: ( #8 )

This post is reply to #7
posted 57 months ago (Monday, August 12) by jne4sl
Those are all good things. Saving paper preference will be a big help.  Thanks.

This post is reply to #6
posted 57 months ago (Wednesday, August 14) by Sewist
I try to remember to save work before going to the print screen, but maybe there should be a built in reminder, too.  The thing is, it's possible to then leave the print screen without saving the draft, or worse, if something goes wrong on the print screen, there's no way to return to the drafting screen, and then unsaved work will be lost.

The alert was added :)

posted 57 months ago (Wednesday, August 14) by jne4sl
I've seen it.  It's already training me to always press save before hitting the print button :) Hopefully it isn't too annoying.  I have definitely lost changes by having the print screen hang or accidentally leaving from that screen, so it's a good warning.  Thanks.

posted 57 months ago (Wednesday, August 14) by jne4sl
Has there been any thought to including pattern elements that don't appear on both sides of a garment?  E.g. a breast pocket placement or a say a binding notch that is offset from the center line.  I would find that useful.

I don't know how it would be notated, but there would need to be three categories.  The regular 'include()', one for items that are not mirrored, and one for items that are only mirrored.  They would all behave like 'include()' unless the pattern includes a 'flip.'  In which case, some items are only rendered on the original side, and some only on the reflection.  Right now if I really want this, I mirror the pattern elements and draw a full size pattern, but that's a lot of work to go to for a single notch.  It's also a little clunky to mark the notch 'left only' if the pattern is produced with a flip, as it just means more unwanted markings, when all that's wanted are matching notches on the left side of the body, so that cutting work can be mindless.
This post has replies: ( #12 )

This post is reply to #11
posted 57 months ago (Thursday, August 15) by Sewist
Well, frankly speaking, I never thought of it, as I never had a case of a single notch, and as for the pocket placements I usually include it all the same and mention in the instructions which one should be used (or both, you know).

At the moment it doesn't seem very much in line with what we are working on, but I have already hit a couple of annoying walls in 3D when it is just, say, front neckline that is asymmetrical but a lot of extra patterns need to be duplicated to make the seams right. So this rings a bell somehow and I will give it a thought :)

posted 57 months ago (Thursday, August 15) by jne4sl
Yes, for a pocket it's not usually a big deal.  Especially if there's a center placket, I wouldn't cut two fronts just to have one that tells me to place a pocket, and one that tells me not to.  And, if the pattern is cut on the fold, it's all moot, all the markings should be there, and it has to be sorted out with instructions.  But, if nothing else, this would allow looking at the full size pattern with everything in place as a reality check.  And for the occasion where there is a tiny asymmetry, like a zipper placket on the left side, it would be nice to have the option of printing a full size pattern that doesn't have extra notches.  Anyway, just something I'd put to use.

On the topic of janky intersection in seam allowances, you've probably already noticed, but if something goes wrong with generating the seam allowance near a fold point, the entire seam allowance can disappear from a flipped or folded pattern.  I've had patterns where the seam allowance is in place as long as there's no fold, but when it's flipped (or folded), the seam allowance disappears.  It seems to be a tolerance issue with the initial point of the first (or final point of the last) path in the trace list.  In my case I replaced the first item with a line between the endpoints, and the seam allowances reappeared.  So my guess, was that the start of the seam allowance line is being thrown on the wrong side of the pattern line and then the rest of the seam allowance is silently dropped?
This post has replies: ( #14 )

This post is reply to #13
posted 57 months ago (Friday, August 16) by Sewist
In fact, with folded and flipped patterns it is best to describe the trace so that the flip/fold line is the last segment of it. So you begin at the first actually existing element, go clockwise and end the trace at the point where the fold/flip line would start. In this case it should be ok re seam allowances.

posted 57 months ago (Friday, August 16), edited 57 months ago by jne4sl
That doesn't fix the problem for the pattern I was working with.  The trace is clockwise, and the first element is a neckline.  If I add the first point of the neckline as the last point of the trace, nothing changes.  If I add the fold line as the last element of the trace nothing changes.  If I replace the neckline with a line [neck.p1:neck,p2], it works.  If I replace the neckline with a new arc, neck_new = arc(neck.p1, neck.p2, neck.a1, neck.a2), it works.  All I can figure is the particulars of the neckline are causing an error at the initial point of the path.  Similar to sort of blips that might occur at any other intersection of the path, in particular maybe the sort of blip, that throws a point of the seam allowance inside the contour of the path.  Anyway, just a guess.  Maybe there's nothing *better* about the new arc, but it just happens to work with 'along' while the first one didn't.  I've scratched my head over this behavior before, I just didn't spend any time trying to figure out if I was causing it. 

Here's a simple example: https://www.sewist.com/spl/#run/1358

Works fine with a fold, works fine with no flip or fold, but with a flip the seam allowances are wrong.  If the path is replaced with a line (uncomment line 11), then flip works.

Something about the path created by along, is incompatible, with creating the seam allowance.
This post has replies: ( #16 )

This post is reply to #15
posted 57 months ago (Monday, August 19) by Sewist
The correct path should end at p4 - trace(c2,p2,p3,p4), - but I can see it still doesn't work. I have forwarded this to the IT and they are working on it as we speak :)
This post has replies: ( #17 )

This post is reply to #16
posted 57 months ago (Monday, August 19) by jne4sl
Thanks for clarifying.  Yes, normally I stop the trace at the second end of the fold line, I wasn't sure if you were saying that closing the loop by including the fold line would have an effect.  Anyway, I've definitely run into strange behavior using flip and fold.
This post has replies: ( #18 )

This post is reply to #17
posted 57 months ago (Tuesday, August 20) by Sewist
Could you please try that script again?

posted 57 months ago (Tuesday, August 20), edited 57 months ago by jne4sl
Excellent, the toy example is working now, and also the shirt where it was causing a problem, no longer needs a work around.  Maybe it's my imagination, but it also looks like the seam allowances on something I was working on yesterday have improved.  There were some points where a side seam and waist met at a convex angle that where the seam allowance would have a big bite missing and now they look good.  But, maybe that was a change on my end.
This post has replies: ( #20 )

This post is reply to #19
posted 57 months ago (Sunday, August 25) by jne4sl
OK, so I'm certain I saw it work improve, but now it's back to the previous behavior.
This post has replies: ( #21 )

This post is reply to #20
posted 57 months ago (Tuesday, August 27) by Sewist
There was indeed a problem with that release, so we rolled it back and released anew yesterday. Could you check again please?
This post has replies: ( #22 )

This post is reply to #21
posted 57 months ago (Tuesday, August 27) by jne4sl
Yes, it's now working again.

I was going to say there's still a slight problem with the folded version, although I don't think it would cause anyone trouble.  The seam allowance is extending past the fold line, so of course when actually placed on a fabric fold, that bit could not be cut.
This post has replies: ( #23 )

This post is reply to #22
posted 57 months ago (Wednesday, August 28) by Sewist
Thanks for the update, I will see if this can be easily fixed... but in my opinion this is rather a thing that we will be fixing when finishing the different options of drawing seam allowances (as in specific variants when drawing seam allowances for hem, around darts, etc)

posted 57 months ago (Wednesday, August 28) by jne4sl
Oh, exciting, I'd much rather see refined options for seam allowances.  I don't think the current situation could cause confusion, and it only occurs if the fold line isn't perpendicular to the pattern lines, which is rare except for things like a v-neck.

posted 51 months ago (Wednesday, February 5) by jne4sl
I'm having an issue with the function mark() and type 'mark_circle'.  Circle markings are drawn correctly in the editor, but in the real size print out, the marks don't stay in position.  This seems to be related to all the flipping and rotating that the packing algorithm does.  At some point the circle doesn't reflect/rotate with the pattern.  If I instead use 'mark_square', everything works as expected.
This post has replies: ( #26 #27 )