Settings

Choose language

Questions and Answers 157 posts, 7 writers, 79 readers, started 85 months ago

This post is reply to #75
posted 66 months ago (Tuesday, December 18) by jne4sl
Yes, I would love a way to write a private function or method.  There are many tasks where I could use that.  I agree it's less straight forward than having a string of commands laid out in a file, but I think anyone who spends much time at this will find themself writing the same code in multiple contexts and wish there was a way to do it once and be done.  Also, presumably the software is attractive to people with some programming background.  And in that case not being able to write a subroutine, or just discovering that it's not possible, might be more confusing than learning how to do it in a new environment.

And, I'd really only be satisfied with that level of control, because, for example, I'd want the option of skew pocket sides parallel to the grain.

posted 65 months ago (Saturday, December 22) by jne4sl
I noticed a quirk of the visual tools, that you may already be aware of, but it was difficult for me to make sense of.  I was working in a pattern with way too many points with similar names, many of which had already been moved or altered, but which still showed in multiple states in the plot.  I used the magnet visual tool, to rotate an edge, and the animation showed exactly what I wanted.  But when the code was inserted, the actual rotation was something completely different.  I finally realized that the point I was able to select on the screen was no longer in that position, and so the real rotation was about the new point of that name.  Of course, when I was selecting the point for the tool, I wasn't thinking about the fact that it no longer existed or that the name had been reused, so I was really lost trying to figure out why the results didn't agree.  

I can see why this would happen, and maybe it's not possible to restrict the visual tool, from using all visible points, but would it be possible to have some sort of "refresh" function, that deletes all the old points/paths form the plot?  I try to delete things I don't need, but if the name is being reused, this sometimes requires a temporary variable and extra steps.  I've gotten into the habit of applying line style to clear out old paths.  So even if the path is already solid, calling solid(path) deletes any previous versions of the path from the plot.  But there isn't anything similar to do for points, and there isn't any way to clean up everything that I might have lost track of overwriting.

I can see that there's an issue, because the visual tools can be used to insert code anywhere in the file, not necessarily at the last line of the file.  So distinguishing between active points and old points might be meaningless.  But as long as I know this about the tools, it could be helpful to have a way to clear out inactive points, just to troubleshoot an unexpected behavior.
This post has replies: ( #78 )

This post is reply to #77
posted 65 months ago (Saturday, December 22) by Sewist
I see what you mean... try moving them may be?

As in move((objects),0) - this will move all listed objects by 0 cm at angle 0, and only the final position will be shown on the screen.
This post has replies: ( #79 )

This post is reply to #78
posted 65 months ago (Saturday, December 22) by jne4sl
perfect, thanks!

posted 65 months ago (Sunday, December 23) by jne4sl
Magnet is a really useful function, I finally thought to check that it works with paths and not just lines (at first I didn't realize this and was creating short lines in the initial direction of the path just to use magnet).  You ought to add this to the function description.  And, also that it allows a negative sign in front of the path/line to reverse the orientation.  But with the visual tool, it's not possible to click an arbitrary path (only lines) and add use it, the name has to be typed in.  The animation in the visual tool is also very useful, both as a visualization, and I like to add some extra points temporarily to confirm the alignment, and then remove them before inserting the code, to keep from over crowding the drawing.

posted 64 months ago (Saturday, February 2) by jne4sl
I think I've asked about this before but, I'm not sure I've gotten clarification.  There's a quirk when patterns are explicitly named and the same name is reused.   Instead of the pattern being replaced with the most recent instance, a union of both pattern is created.  E.g,
p1 = pattern(name("front"),...)
p1 = pattern(name("back"),...)
will produce a pattern with the objects of "front" and "back" fused into one.
Is this a bug or a feature?  With other objects, like points, reusing a name causes the point to be overwritten, even though both instances may be visible in the plot.

Mostly this seems like an odd behavior, and it seems to cause problems when generating the instruction sheet, for example--both patterns are listed individually twice and the union is drawn twice e.g.,
(A) front - cut 1
(B) back - cut 1
(A) front - cut 1
(B) back - cut 1

But, I can think of ways this could be put to use, e.g. with tiny pieces that are more convenient to print and cut aligned in a group.

posted 49 months ago (Sunday, April 12) by jne4sl
Is there a command like dash() to generate the dot-dash line style that the pleat function creates?  I have a pleat I'd like to draft by hand, and could use one more line style to distinguish the fold from other markings. 
This post has replies: ( #83 #99 )

This post is reply to #82
posted 49 months ago (Tuesday, April 14) by Sewist
I was thinking the same thing :) dotdash(), you think?

posted 49 months ago (Tuesday, April 14) by jne4sl
Sounds good to me.

posted 49 months ago (Wednesday, April 15) by jne4sl
Normally I don't do much converting between inches and centimeters, but I have been lately and I realize the cmtoin() function isn't sufficient for me because it rounds to 0.1 inch.  I can work around by just using a conversion factor (cm measurement)*(2.54).  And if I need to round I can use round().  Would it be possible for cmtoin() and intocm() to report at least 2 digits of accuracy?  I guess another option would be to have an optional second parameter that defaults to 1 and specifies the digits of accuracy, similar to the round() function.

Anyway as it intocm() is okay because it rounds to 1mm and is accurate to 0.5mm.  But cmtoin() rounds to the tenth of an inch which is a potential error of 1.2mm.  In particular, intocm(1.2) returns 0.

The peripheral issue is when working with inches, I really want to calculate fractional parts (ideally to the 1/16 of an inch, but certainly to an 1/8 of an inch).  E.g. if I draft something that's 3.75 inches, in text I'll want to convert the decimal and say it's 3 3/4 inches, and I can do that, I just need the decimal accurate to 1/16th of an inch or so (analogous to metric sewing instructions that are accurate to the mm).

Anyway, I'm perfectly comfortable working with centimeters for plotting, but if the item is going to be sewn with imperial measurements, I want to say the finished size will be 3 3/4 inches, and it's not good enough to say 3.8 inches, because it's not the convention--sewing tools don't have decimal markings they have fractional inch markings.  I just need extra accuracy to make these conversions, too.
This post has replies: ( #86 )

This post is reply to #85
posted 49 months ago (Thursday, April 16) by Sewist
Frankly, we added this function mainly to deal with the 'type' cases, and adding a parameter seems a bit too much. What we could do, is default intocm() to 1 decimal, and default cmtoin() to 2 digits. I guess this has to solve most of the cases.

posted 49 months ago (Thursday, April 16) by jne4sl
I agree, a parameter would be awkward.  2 digits on cmtoin() would solve my issue.  I was using it with type() as a quick way to confirm a finished measurement on a pattern, but the rounding made me second guess things.  I hadn't noticed the rounding before.  Thanks.
This post has replies: ( #88 #89 )

This post is reply to #87
posted 49 months ago (Friday, April 17) by Sewist
Posted a ticket :)

This post is reply to #87
posted 49 months ago (Sunday, April 19) by Sewist
Fixed, will be live with next release - Monday or Tuesday.
This post has replies: ( #90 )

This post is reply to #89
posted 49 months ago (Tuesday, April 21) by Sewist
Released :)

posted 48 months ago (Friday, June 5), edited 48 months ago by jne4sl
Can you explain the difference between sz74, torso position, and sz82, neck depth?  The instruction for both says measure horizontally from the neck base (point Z) to the depth of the shoulder blade protrusion.  I'm thinking the smaller one, neck depth, is correct, and maybe the larger one is measured from the side neck base (point Y)?

I'm also confused by sz110, neck projection depth.  The instruction says, "measure between neck base at front (point X) and neck base at side (point Z)." Should that read point Y, or is it actually measured to the neck back (point X).

Also, sz95, waist projection depth, is it measured from the spine, or the muscle , like sz80?
This post has replies: ( #115 )

posted 48 months ago (Saturday, June 6) by jne4sl
Okay, I figured the first one out, sz82, should be measured from neck back horizontally to spine level, not shoulder blade.  It's redundant, sz82 = sz74 -  sz81

Also sz44 has an error in the instructions.  It should be measured from the side neck, point Y.  Some descriptions say point X.

posted 47 months ago (Thursday, June 11), edited 47 months ago by jne4sl
Nevermind, maybe I misunderstood and that's a coincidence of the measurement chart, because the back neck depth is roughly half way between the side neck depth and blade depth.  Is that correct?

E.g. for a particular size sz82 =5.68, sz74 = 7.25, sz81 = 1.57  and it happens sz81 = sz74 - sz82 (this does seem to work for other sizes I checked).

But if the back neck just happens to be half way between blade depth and side neck, then the descriptions are close to correct.

E.g.
sz74 blade to point Y = 7.25
sz82 blade to point X = 5.68
sz81 blade to point X = 1.57
(then by calculation, point X to point Y = 1.57 as well)

Is that correct?  If so, the description for sz74, torso position, needs correcting, it should be analogous to sz82 but measures to base of neck at side (point Y).

Next issue, sz110, neck projection depth, the text is correct but the point references are scrambled again.  Should be: Measure between neck base at the front (point X) and neck base at the side (point Y).

A lot of references to the neck points seem to be wrong.

This post has replies: ( #95 )

posted 47 months ago (Thursday, June 11), edited 47 months ago by jne4sl
Next question.  

If a particular size parameter is undefined for a given individual, is there a way to catch that without attempting a call and causing an error?  E.g., if(no(sz48)), doesn't work for size parameters, but if(no(head_girth)) is what I'd use to catch a custom variable that is undefined.

To explain, I've been trying to plot values from the size chart to make sure I understood their use, and then I've been trying to take measurements on a doll and do the same.  This has been very helpful, but I do tend to go in circles.

This post is reply to #93
posted 47 months ago (Monday, June 15) by jne4sl
Okay, never mind again, measuring sz74 from side neck would put the curve of the back too far forward, so everything is perfect with that description.

I'm looking at the descriptions, in the generated custom size pdf, and the pop up size description on the drafting screen.

So the issue I see, is measurement sz82 isn't described correctly, it reads the same as sz74.  It can be calculated , sz82 = sz74 -  sz81, but then the measurement from back neck (point Z) to the spine. 

sz82 should say:

Measure horizontally from neck base at the back (point Z) to the spine.

sz110 is also confusing, it should say:
Measure between neck base at the front (point X) and neck base at the side (point Y). 

sz43 also references the neck back, but should be side.  Maybe along the spine should be changed to parallel to the spine, it could read:

Measure from neck base at the side (point Y) to waist level (sz18) parallel to the spine.
This post has replies: ( #96 )

This post is reply to #95
posted 47 months ago (Monday, June 15) by Sewist
Hello, sorry, I was away from the forum for a couple of days.

sz74/sz82 - there is indeed a confusion in the typology, but the sz82 is valid, and it is up to the blade protrusion, not the spine. As far as I can see from the readily available docs it may in fact duplicate sz74, as they were defined the same way, but for different age groups.

sz110 - neck at the front and at the back, no correction needed.

sz43 - parallel to the spine, and up to neck side, we shall correct the 'back' to 'side' in the popup window. It is described correctly in documentation.

posted 47 months ago (Monday, June 15), edited 47 months ago by jne4sl
Yes, I did realize that some of the confusion with 74 and 82 is that they may be used for different size groups.  However if the description is correct and they are a duplication, then the calculation the program produces is incorrect, because in the sizes I've looked up, sz74 = sz82 + sz81, which is why I thought perhaps it's just a measurement to spine for convinience.

Thanks for clearing up sz110,  there is still a minor error--the point references are correct, point X and point Z, but the text says side,  If I follow, it is in fact the full horizontal width of the neck, so that should be front.

sz110 - Neck projection depth

Measure between neck base at the front (point X) and neck base at the side (point Z).

ETA: It's the popup that has the mistake for sz110, the documentation is correct.
This post has replies: ( #98 #104 )

This post is reply to #97
posted 47 months ago (Thursday, June 18) by Sewist
Yes, we shall edit that one, thanks!

I shall try to get more info on the sz82, and look into the code, will update soon.
This post has replies: ( #102 )

This post is reply to #82
posted 47 months ago (Thursday, June 18) by Sewist
Better late, than never, right?

Just released - dotdash(objects)

posted 47 months ago (Thursday, June 18) by jne4sl
Oh, thank you, I was going to ping you on that.  Also I noticed, that there's still an issue where if a pattern that contains a dotted line is transformed, the dotted line becomes solid.  Dashed lines stay dashed.  I just tried mirror() on a pattern, I'm not sure if other functions as well.  If I mirror a dotted line that's not in a pattern, it stays dotted.
This post has replies: ( #101 #103 )